Important Links


Departmental Exchange Coordinator: Dr. Ena Hodzik

Office of International Relations:

Departmental Exchange Agreements

BU Exchange Agreements

General Information - Incoming Students


The Translation and Interpreting Studies department welcomes a number of international students every semester through Erasmus+ and other exchange programs. We value the contribution that incoming students make towards both our language curriculum and through interaction with their local classmates. Here are a few points for incoming students to consider:


As an exchange/Erasmus+ student, you can attend most courses at our department with the consent of the respective instructor. However, please note that should you wish to take practical translation or interpreting courses, you will need to pass an online Turkish language test. The test consists of reading, grammar, and writing parts. The minimum number of points required is 70/100 as a total score, with a minimum of 80/100 on your writing score. If you have any questions about the Turkish language test content and requirements, please contact our Departmental Exchange Coordinator Ena Hodzik,


Once your exchange program starts, it is important that you attend the Orientation meeting offered by the Office of International Relations during registration week.  


You are strongly encouraged to visit the Departmental Exchange Coordinator who also acts as your departmental Advisor while at Boğaziçi University. Establishing a good working relationship early on with your Advisor means the registration process, which may be different than the one you are used to, will go smoother. The Advisor will help you choose courses that suit your needs and the requirements of your home program. 


Erasmus+ Internships


Although our department does not offer a structured internship program for incoming students, we can accept applications for internship positions within the Erasmus+ Internship program if the applicant’s profile meets the needs of the department at the time. When sending your application please indicate your reasons for wanting to carry out your internship at Boğaziçi University as well as your interest in the field of translation and interpreting studies. In order to help us match your interests and profile with our needs, please state how you believe your skills and experience will be of benefit to our department, as well as what you hope to get out of such an internship. 


Details on the requirements of the Erasmus+ Internship and how to apply can be found on the website of our Office of International Relations.


General Information - Outgoing Students

The Department of Translation and Interpreting Studies at Boğaziçi University (BU) offers opportunities for students to study abroad for a semester. Students can participate in an exchange as part of the Erasmus+ Program at partner universities throughout Europe, as well as in an exchange with non-European universities in countries including Japan, the US, and Canada.


Application Requirements:

  • A minimum GPA of 2.50.
  • Undergraduate students must have completed 2 semesters at Boğaziçi University at the time of application.
  • Students must study for at least one further semester after their return from the exchange program.

Please visit the website of the Office of International Relations for full details about how to apply and application requirements.


Frequently Asked Questions: 

You will find the answers to many of your questions on the website of the Office of International Relations (Outgoing Students). However, below you can find answers to some additional questions frequently asked by outgoing students from the Department of Translation and Interpreting Studies:

When can I go on an exchange?

You can apply for an exchange program after having completed two full semesters at BU (not including Prep or summer semesters). Applications are made for the following academic year. Most students apply in their second year, and attend the exchange program in their third year. It is possible to participate in an exchange in your fourth year, however you must study for one full semester at BU after your return. Students in their 8th semester or above may require special approval from the department in order to apply for an exchange.

Where can I go on an exchange?

Our department has exchange agreements with a number of universities. Click here for the current list. Boğaziçi University also has additional university-wide exchange agreements that you may be eligible for. See here for the BU exchange agreements list.

How do I decide which classes to take?

Your host university should provide you with a list of classes available to exchange students. If you would like to discuss which classes would be most suitable for you to take or if you need to take specific courses to graduate, please make an appointment with the Departmental Exchange Coordinator. 

Can I transfer the credits for all the courses I take during my exchange?

Most courses passed with ECTS Grade D and above can be transferred to your BU transcript. To transfer a course, the number of course credits taken must be at least as high as the equivalent Boğaziçi University course. 

For students in the Department of Translation and Interpreting Studies, English language courses (i.e., courses that teach the grammar and usage of the English language) cannot be transferred.

What if a course I take is less than 5 ECTS? Can it still be transferred?

Courses that you take at your host university can be combined during the credit transfer process on your return. For example, if you have taken one course with 3 ECTS and one course with 3 ECTS, these two courses can be combined and transferred as, for example, one Unrestricted Elective.

Do I need to find an equivalent course at Boğaziçi University for all the courses I take?

No. Many courses can be counted as an Unrestricted or HSS elective and you therefore do not need to find a similar course offered at BU in order to transfer the credits. However, if you wish to count a course you have taken abroad as a specific course within the undergraduate program, you will need approval from the instructor of that course at Boğaziçi (see following question).

How do I get approval for a specific course transfer?

If you wish to transfer credits for a specific course within our BA curriculum, you will need to receive approval for the transfer from the instructor of that course at BU. For example, if you have taken intermediate German courses at your host university and wish to transfer the credits as GER 301, you should show the course syllabus to an instructor of GER 301 and receive written approval using the template below, which you should then send to the Departmental Course Coordinator. This should be done on your return after having completed your courses. However, if you want to be sure that a course will be suitable for transfer as a specific BU course, you should talk to the course instructor and/or the departmental exchange coordinator in advance of your exchange.

Credit Transfer Approval Template 

How many credits do I need to take during my exchange?

Outgoing students from BU can take a maximum of 30 ECTS or 7 courses. If you are in receipt of an Erasmus+ grant, you need to be able to transfer at least 24 ECTS or risk losing your financial support.

What is the difference between local credits and ECTS?

ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) are university credits that are recognized by all universities within the Erasmus+ network. A 5 ECTS course abroad is generally counted as a 3-credit course at BU, however this can vary. You should check that the courses you take while on your exchange have the necessary number of credits to be counted as an equivalent to courses in your curriculum. 

Many non-European universities use the credit-hour system, which is the same as the system used at BU.

If you are unsure about the credit system used by your host university, please consult with the Departmental Exchange Coordinator.

How will my grades appear on my transcript? Will my grades affect my GPA?

Courses that you pass with an ECTS grade D or above will appear on your transcript as a Pass. Courses that you do not pass will not be transferred and therefore do not appear on your transcript. Grades received during your exchange will not count towards your GPA.

Is there any funding available for exchange programs?

Funding is available for exchanges within the Erasmus+ programs. No funding is available for exchanges with other partner universities; however, if you are accepted on an exchange program you are not expected to pay tuition fees at the host university.

How do I submit an e-petition?

You can find all the steps of creating and submitting an e-petition in this guide: If you are still having trouble completing your e-petition, you can also contact the outgoing student advisors at the Office of International Relations (, or meet with your Departmental Exchange Coordinator, who will explain the steps to you.

How can I learn more about exchange programs and how to apply?

Detailed information about all aspects of exchange programs can be found on the website of the Office of International Relations. You can also watch this information video that covers many details of the application process and beyond.

If I do an exchange, will it delay my graduation?

Since many of the departmental courses within our curriculum focus on English-Turkish translation, it is usually difficult for students to transfer the courses they take as the courses they still require for graduation. For the most part, this means that a one-semester exchange will extend your studies for one semester. 

If I do an exchange, can I still take the 4th year interpreting specialization?

Yes. However, since participation in the interpreting specialization requires you to have completed a number of departmental interpreting courses, it may extend your studies even further.

Students who go on exchange during the Fall semester can take INT 318 (Introduction to Simultaneous Interpreting) in the Spring semester after their return without having completed the prerequisite INT 301, as long as they have successfully passed INT 202. This, however, requires approval from the instructor of INT 318. Students who do this will be expected to take a short consecutive interpreting test during the aptitude test for the interpreting specialization. Such students who are then accepted onto the interpreting specialization will need to complete INT 301 during their final year, since it is an obligatory course within the BA curriculum.

Students who go on exchange during the Spring semester will need to take INT 301 in the Fall semester after their return, and INT 318 in the following Spring semester in order to be eligible to take the aptitude test for the interpreting specialization. This means that if you are accepted on the interpreting specialization after an exchange semester, your studies will be extended by a full year and you will not be eligible for inclusion on the university’s honor lists at graduation.